Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 5: 12 Days of Cookies Countdown

WooHoo! Day 5! Can ya feel the excitement in the air? I sure can.

I must confess. I have not made every single batch of these cookies on the day that I have posted about them. Sometimes I made 2 or 3 different kinds in one day. Yeah, Im weird like that.... So I made about 3 different kinds on Friday of last week....I should have listened to that little voice in my head saying that enough is enough, you need to take a cooking baking break. I made the pecan balls, prepped another cookies and made the cookies for todays post. I messed these cookies up...not big time, but I remember them being so much better! Maybe it was the fact that I used vegetable oil instead of canola oil. Or I mixed both dark and milk chocolate instead of just the dark chocolate. Maybe it was the recipe itself....but the pictures looked like what I remember. Who knows!? Well, I made them, and they were sub-par. They baked up super flat. They were edible, but they lacked flavor, texture, etc. Just barley squeaked by with this one! But don't get me wrong, next time I make these I am sticking to the recipe! Hehehe...can ya blame me for experimenting and using what I had on had? I guess thats why I don't feel so bad about it....

Day 5 was Chocolate Snowflake Cookies. Here is what mine looked like.


So, here is the recipe that I would like to use in the future.

~Chocolate Espresso Crinkles~
4 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. powdered sugar

Put the butter or margarine and chocolate chips in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and cook in 10 sec. intervals, checking and stirring after each time to see if more time is needed. Take it slow, the chocolate can burn quickly! Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Beat the sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until fluffy. Stir in melted chocolate. Add in the flour mixture and beat until combined. 
Refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 F. Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Take out the dough from the fridge. Scoop up the dough a tbsp. at a time and roll into a ball and roll in powdered sugar until completely coated. Bake for 8 to 10 min. Remove from oven and let cool a min. on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a rack to cool.


I hope that these ones turn out better for me and for everyone else! I really like these cookies, and have made them before. I was majorly disappointed when they did not turn out how I remembered them....alas...I guess I will have to make them again! ;-)

ENJOY!!

No comments: