Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 2: 12 Days of Cookies Countdown


Okay, take a deep breath, its alright, everything will be okay....

Stressing out a little? Eat a cookie, it makes all things better! There are only 2 days left until Christmas! I am spending it with my Hubby, eating, drinking, exploring, eating some more, drinking again....hehe. We are going to open presents sometime soon too, although a lot of the good ones are getting here after Christmas. (snail mail during the holidays + customs = mail takes a loooooonnnnggggg time)


On this wonderful Day 2 I am going to share with you a Snickerdoodle Cookie recipe that I found on another blog that I have been following for sometime now. I has accumulated a lot of recipes for snickerdoodles and I had to compare all the recipes and see which one I though I, and hubby, would like the best. Knowing his tastes and mine, this is the one I chose. Its a pretty classic and straightforward recipe for the cinnamon covered childhood cookie.


~Fat n' Fluffy Snickerdoodles~
(Adapted from How Sweet It Is)
1/2 c. butter, room temp.
1 c. sugar
1 lg. egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. milk
1/4 c. sugar + 1 tbsp. cinnamon, mixed

In a small bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon, set aside. In a med. bowl beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, beat well to combine. Stir in flour mix until the dough comes together. Add in the milk. Mix until dough forms a ball. If it is too crumbly, add milk 1 tbsp. at a time until is comes together. Cover and refrigerate for 30 min.
When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Remove the dough from the fridge. Roll dough into big 1 1/2 in. balls (I used a 1 in. cookie scoop) and dip the balls into the cinnamon-sugar mixture until completely coated. Place on baking sheet and use the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookies slightly. Bake for 10-12 min. or until firm.


I was surprised at the resulting cookie. It was hefty, it did not spread much in the cooking process. It was dense and chewy. It tasted wonderful. Very nice cinnamon flavor. But, I would have to say that, in the case with snickerdoodles, I like them to be a little less dense. Don't get me wrong, these tasted wonderful, I would just like something with a little more 'air' if you will. More time to experiment and more cookies to eat!


Hubby has yet to try one, but knowing that he likes a cake-y cookie he might be a fan of these ones!  ;-)


I am uber excited to bring you tomorrows post!! Hope you enjoyed reading them so far!

ENJOY!

No comments: