Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 3: 12 Days of Cookies Countdown


Three! Count them....1, 2, 3 more days until Christmas! We are getting closer peeps.

Did ya see what I made? Yup, I made the little emblem up on top. I am so very proud. Don't judge, I like it, and that is all that matters. Beside its cute, don't you think?

Anywho, one to the good stuff...the cookies! Day 3 is Lemon Sugar Cookies. These cookies have a little twist to them. They are a basic sugar cookie with some lemon zest in them for some zing. And let me tell you, the lemon is a very good flavor in these cookies. I decided to make these ones instead of plain ol' frosted sugar cookies because Hubby is a huge fan of anything lemon flavored. I was also in the mood for something new, and I don't have my cookie cutter collection out here yet. (I know, sad right?)

So, here is the recipe that I used. I made a few changes here and there as well.


~Lemon Sugar Cookies~
(Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine)
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 lg. egg
2 tbsp. lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 3/4 c. flour
Colored Crystals

In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, lemon zest, and vanilla and beat until combined. Gradually add in the flour mixture and beat until smooth and fully incorporated. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 2 hrs. or until dough is firm.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place colored crystals into small bowls. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and, using a tablespoon, spoon out the dough and shape into balls in your hands. Roll in colored crystals. Place on baking sheets about 1 in. apart. Use a small glass to slightly flatten the cookie. Bake for 14 min. or until golden brown on the bottom. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 


These cookies were wonderful. The lemon was great addition. They had a slightly crisp exterior with a slightly airy soft interior. They were wonderfully smack in the middle of a soft and a crispy cookie. Perfect. I think next time I would like to use almond flavoring instead of vanilla and see if that makes a difference. Maybe some more lemon too...or a lemon-sugar coating or glaze....ooooh the ideas are a-flowin'! Speaking of ideas, as you can see in the pictures above and below I did some dual colored cookies as well. I think they turned out okay, it was hard to keep the sugar crystals separated, but it still looks pretty cool!


On another note. I was reminded of something today. It was an old family tradition that my mother used to do with me about a week before Christmas. You see, we had this one ornament that was a clear ball with a red pipe-cleaner man with a cotton ball beard in it. Anybody know what this man was? He had 5 other little 'followers' that my mother would hide each morning before I got up and I would have to find them before the day was over. I can not for the life of me remember what their name was! It was something along the lines of tomtom or tinkin....i can not remember and I can't find anything on the WWW either! Jeez! Mom, help? I just remembered about them and I would like to make some for my own tree...

Anywho, hope all is peaceful on this wonderful holiday night.

ENJOY!

No comments: