Monday, August 30, 2010

Cool List From a Magazine!

Woah! What a whirlwind of a weekend! (lots of w's there!) Twas fun, but busy. On Friday night I went out with the Hubbs and one of his friends for some drinks. Then on Saturday night I went to another friends house and we grilled for dinner, and then chatted over drinks. And, finally on Sunday night I went to another one of Hubbs' friends house. The gals were participating in a presentation by "Gold Crayon" which sells candles and the like. Again, there were drinks and food. What an exceptional weekend!

There was one thing that I did realize this weekend. I want to be an entertainer, and by this I mean sort of mock "hostess". I am still looking for a word or phrase to describe what I want to do. Earlier I described it as a "take home" chef concept: Want to throw a part, but don't want to cook? Call me, I'll cook it for you! Prep could either be all on me and I just bring the food, or half & half (like grilling for example - I would do it at the clients house). What do you think? Should I do it? I am still mulling over the idea, and it need to work some things out. Just an idea.

Anywhoo, I was looking through on of my favorite magazines, Food Network Mag, and I found this really cool list, so I am going to share it with my readers!

America's BEST

Comfort Foods

  1. Best No-Nonsense Pizza = Lucali, Brooklyn NY
  2. Best Old-Fashioned Biscuits = Loveless Cafe, Nashville TN
  3. Best Hand-Cut Fries = Boise Fry Co., Boise ID
  4. Best Spaghetti w/ Red Sauce = Scarpetta, Miami Beach FL & New York NY
  5. Best Chicken Soup = Famous 4th Street Delicatessen, Philadelphia PA
  6. Best Southern Fried Chicken = Watershed Restaurant, Decatur GA
  7. Best Mashed Potatoes = L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, Las Vegas NV
  8. Best Real-Deal Burrito = La Taqueria, San Francisco CA
  9. Best Mac & Cheese w/ A Twist = Zingerman's Roadhouse, Ann Arbor MI
  10. Best Haute Grilled Cheese = The Foundry on Melrose, Los Angeles CA 

Regional Classics

  1. Best New Shrimp 'n' Grits = Hominy Grill, Charleston SC
  2. Best Hot Dog Menu = Hot Doug's, Chicago IL
  3. Best NC-Style Pig = The Pit, Raleigh NC
  4. Best Gumbo, Any Style = Commander's Palace, New Orleans LA
  5. Best Late-Night Burger = Holeman & Finch Public House, Atlanta GA
  6. Best Old-School Steak = Keens Steakhouse, New York NY
  7. Best Riff on a Cheesesteak = The Bazaar by Jose Andres, Los Angeles CA
  8. Best Lobster Roll Duet = Neptune Oyster, Boston MA
  9. Best Lone Star Brisket = Kreuz Market, Lockhart TX
  10. Best New England "Chowdah" = Captain Parker's Pub, West Yarmouth MA

Sweets

  1. Best Beer-Spiked Cupcake = Gingerbread Cupcake w/ Stout Beer & Cream-cheese Frosting. Miette, San Francisco CA
  2. Best Drinkable Dessert = Strawberry Shakes. Parkesdale Farm Market, Planet City FL
  3. Best Pie on A Stick = Key Lime Pie Dipped in Chocolate. Kermit's Key West Lime Shoppe, Key West & DeLand FL
  4. Best Exotic Ice Cream = Salty Caramel, Molasses-Praline, Goat Cheese w/ Cognac Figs. Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream, Columbus OH
  5. Best-Dressed Doughnuts = Hand-Split Yeast Doughnuts w/ Seasonal Fillings: Strawberry & Pumpkin Cream-cheese. The Donut Man, Glendora CA
  6. Best Little Box of Chocolates = Cinnamon-Cayenne Truffles. Gail Ambrosius Chocolatier, Madison WI
  7. Best Upside-Down Frozen Treat = Frozen Custard "Concrete" Mixers Shake. Ted Drewes, St. Louis MO
  8. Best Flaming Treat = Bananas Foster. Brennan's, New Orleans LA
  9. Best Spin on Souffle = Raspberry-Truffle Souffle w/ Ice Cream. Falai, New York NY
  10. Best Big Whoopie = Super-sized Whoopie Pies, Pumpkin w/ Maple Filling. Two Fat Cats Bakery, Portland ME
Hope you like all of these and can maybe even try a few!
**Click on the establishment name for links!!**

(I will be posting my photos and recipes from this weekends cooking adventures soon!)

ENJOY!

No comments: