Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hello again, from a NEW location!!

I am HOME!!

Now by home I mean in the city where I was born and raised! And it feels good...
But I have a hole in my heart...I am away from my hubby...he had to stay in NC cuz' that's where he works...and I am going back to school. It hurts to leave...this summer was the longest consecutive time that we had spent together. And parting is such sweet sorrow...but one must move on...besides, what hurts you can only make you stronger right? Well, I believe that anyway.

This is coming into Charlotte
Leaving from Charlotte, you can see the water going across the window
Blue sky

See that white blob on the left? That's the Metrodome, where the Twinkies, I mean Twins play America's Past time, baseball.

That bridge on the right (the larger one) is the rebuilt 35W bridge that collapsed in August of 07'
So, without further adu, I give you pictures that I took while on the plane for your viewing pleasure! Aaaaannnnndddd.....a RECIPE!! I come home and start cooking! I am a true baker at heart! The first item that I baked was a cake for my bother-in-laws birthday (which was on Monday) It was basically a dark chocolate boxed cake and I subbed the water for Cherry Coke. The next recipe was an oat cookie with raisins and pluots. Pluots are a dried plum and apricot cross-breed. They were really really good! In fact so good that I got a request to make some more! Who-da thunk? So...here is the recipe for the cookies

~Pluot Raisin Oat Cookies~
1 c. AP flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. rolled oats (quick or reg.)
1/3 c. raisins
1/3 c. pluots, chopped
4 tbsp. Crisco (or butter)
1/4 tsp. butter extract (eliminate if using butter)
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. mild honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. hot water
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, set aside. In another bowl combine raisins and pluots and stir to combine. Mix together Crisco and butter extract and place into a mixer (or just add butter). Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add honey, vanilla, and hot water and mix together. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add in oat and fruit mixture and stir. Drop by tbsp. onto a sprayed cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake for 12-14 min. or until golden brown. Enjoy!

**Feel free to substitute other combinations of dried fruit, I just used what I had on hand. Another good combination might be peach and crystallized ginger.

No comments: