Friday, August 15, 2008

First Friday Post. Randomness...Bittersweet...What else?

Hello again!

I am really getting used to this posting stuff...I just wonder why I didn't start sooner. I guess it was because, after surfin' the web and looking at all of those wonderful food blogs out there, I was somewhat intimidated...I admit it, I was! But I figured, go for it! And here I am in all my glory! Hahaha

So, today is a somewhat special day. It is my last Friday in North Carolina. Hubby is at work and won't be home until late. I want to have fun, and I want to be with my hubby. But I can't have one of these things, so lets have some Random Friday Fun!

I just want to say that Dara Torres, the 41-year-old mother swimming in the Olympics, has an amazing body for being 41. I know that she gets this by spending lots of $$ on personal trainers and what not, but dang! That's what I want to have when I'm 40! (sweet dreams) Well, I can try can't I? **Note: I am a workout freak! Yeah, speaking of swimmers...ya know Michael Phelps? I heard on the news that the guy eats over 12,000 calories a day!! And he says that he has a "hard time" keeping weight on! Dang, his workouts must be totally intense! Phew!

Did You Know? Apple peels can have up to 87% more cancer fighting elements than the inside!

Science Bit: What's a Calorie? Scientifically, it's the amount of energy needed to raise the temp of 1 g. of water by 1 degree C. Nutritionally, it's the amount of energy in food that your body can use. Our digestion releases nutrients in the foods we eat, which our bodies then convert to glucose that it uses to fuel all of its functions. Yummy Yummy...in my tummy!

Recipes!! Finally...sorry...I have a lot of random useless knowledge in my head that sometimes just NEEDS to get out! I also do a lot of "spur of the moment" ramblings...I'm watching the Olympics right now...See! just like that! Well, anywho, yesterday I made some Kickin' Chicken and Pretzels so here are some photos and the recipes!

~Kickin' Chicken~
8 chicken drumsticks12 tbsp. Franks Sauce
4 tsp. Cholula (or Tabasco)
4 tsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. smokey paprika

Mix all ingredients together and pour over chicken. Let marinade for several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350-375 F. Pour chicken and sauce into large baking dish. Bake the chicken on the middle rack of the oven for about 35-40 min. or until it is no longer pink in the inside and there is no running blood. Turn on broiler and move rack up. Broil the chicken for 5 min., flip then broil for another 5 min. Let cool a little and serve with sauce in the pan. Serve with ranch or blue cheese for dipping

**These were pretty kickin', but not all that much, at least for my taste. I wish there had been more of a garlic flavor. I think I'll add more garlic next time and maybe some red pepper flakes or something to make it really kickin'! Mine were not very crispy either because the broiler in my oven does not work.

~Garlic, Herb & Cheese Pretzels~
Dough
2 1/2 c. AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 pkg. instant yeast
1 c. warm water
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
Topping
1/2 c. warm water
1 tsp. sugar
Garlic salt
Mozzarella cheese

Combine the water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve and let sit until frothy, about 5 min. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Pour yeast mixture into flour and stir together to form a ball. If dough is too wet, add more flour until it comes together. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 8-10 min. until smooth. Sprinkle with flour and place into a large oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 min. to 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 500 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Dissolve sugar in warm water and set aside. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal parts. Roll each part into a 12-24 in. rope. (smaller = more doughy, longer = more crisp) Place pretzel in hand and spoon sugar water over top and place on baking sheet and reshape. Sprinkle with cheese or garlic salt, or both. Repeat with remaining dough. Let pretzels rest for 15 min. Bake for 6 min., rotate pans, and continue baking for 6 min. more or until cheese is golden brown and dough is firm. Enjoy!

**These pretzels where very good for my first try! The herb flavor was spot on and my favorite topping was the garlic salt. Then again, I am a garlic fanatic! I was thinking that I was going to need some dip for these pretzels, and was planning on making some garlic mustard, but they were amazing just by themselves! I really enjoy bread just plain, no butter, rarely any dip, this lets you fully appreciate the flavor of the bread. These are amazing just on their own and I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did!

Well, today I think I am going to try my hand at some cinnamon rolls. I don't know what exact recipe I am going to use, I might morph a few together. Pray that it turns out well! I'll post the results later!

Well, Peace out for now!

No comments: