Monday, November 30, 2009

Well Golly Gee...I'll Be...

I have some Thanksgiving recipes for ya'll! And some photos to go with them!

First is a NEW Apple Pie Recipe!

~Easy Pie Crust~
(Courtesy of Food Network Magazine)
12 tbsp. very cold unsalted butter
3 c. AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1/3 c. very cold vegetable shortening
6-8 tbsp. ice water

Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the flour mixture. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and mix to combine. Place the butter and shortening into the same bowl. Using a knife and fork, cut the butter and shortening into the flour mixture. This took me about 30 to 45 min. You can also use a pastry cutter or do this in a food processor. The dough should come together into little pea sized balls. Add the water a tbsp. at time and mix to combine. Turn out onto a floured counter and roll into a ball. Cover in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 30 min.
When ready to form a crust, take the dough out of the refrigerator and cut in half. Roll each piece on a well-floured counter into a circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn't stick to the board. Fold the dough in half, place in a pie pan and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.

~Deep Dish Apple Pie~
(Courtesy of Food Network Magazine)
4 lbs. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. orange juice
1/2 c. sugar, plus more
1/4 c. AP flour
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. allspice
1 egg beaten w/ water to brush on top

Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the peeled, cored, and sliced apples into a large bowl and combine with the zests, juices, 1/2 c. sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Combine until all of the apples are coated with the mixture. Pour into prepared bottom pie crust. Top with prepared top pie crust. (I latticed my crust) If not latticed, then cut 2-3 slits on the top to release steam. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar. Place the pie onto a sheet pan and bake for 1 to 1.5 hours or until the crust is browned and the juices begin to bubble out. Serve warm and ENJOY!!
(Note: I covered mine with tin foil about half way through because the crust was getting a little too brown)

The apple pie mixture

I would have to say that this is by far my favorite pie crust mixture so far, I used to use my grandmothers recipe, but hers does not call for sugar, and I think that I am a fan of the extra sweetness.

As for the filling...I have mixed feelings on that. When I tasted it, it was very citrusy, because of the lemon and orange zest and juice. I am used to apple pies being very apply and/or cinnamon-y. This new flavor was not bad, just different. I think that next time I will keep the citrus, just back off on it a little bit and add more cinnamon. I might try a different type of apple as well, until I get it right!! hahahaha!!



The next morning we had plain and chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast


Clementines that every one enjoyed!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

No comments: