Thursday, November 26, 2009

Is it a Holiday?

Wow, what a day...wait, what day is today? Oh yeah, it's THANKSGIVING!!! Sure don't feel like it, at least to me. It was such an odd day. Started out that the hubby and I had plans to go to a family friends for Turkey day dinner, but those plans got changed, okay no problem...lets just roll with the flow. Well, we woke up, went to the gym...came home and hard core cleaned the house with the expectation of my In-laws spending the weekend. Okay, what's next? Right, I need to go to the grocery store to pick up some last minute items...okay, in the car over there and when I get there found out that they had closed up for the day...dang! Its the towns only grocery store, you would think they would stay open later that 3:00. Oh well, went to CVS that was open...didn't get everything that I needed, but made due... So, in the car on the way home and I get a call from my hubby who says that he has to go into work earlier than expected, okay...dang! Can't have a mini Thanksgiving with just the two of us in the afternoon! I tell him that I will have food for him when he gets home, but im hungry! I tell him I might eat, and I do...I made Turkey Meatballs (Yummy!) and stovetop stuffing. I also made some spicy turkey sausage when my hubby got home cuz I ate a good deal of the meatballs...I had more of them and less of the stuffing.

~Easy Turkey Meatballs~
1.25 lbs. Ground Turkey
1 egg
1 c. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. parsley
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. garlic salt

Preheat oven to 400 F. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Roll into golfball sized balls and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 min. or until the meatballs register 180 degrees on a thermometer.

The hubbs got home and started eating, and then he started to feel a little sick...must have been the lack of food all day and then quickly eating really dense food...and the energy drinks that he said he had at work. Bummer man! I don't want him to be sick! So we waited a while and then had dessert! (I was going to make apple pie, but I couldn't get some ingredients due to the grocery store being closed) I made Special K Bars or Scotcheroos as they are also known by. Then I baked up one pie crust that I prepared the other day, and made Mom's Chocolate Pie that is now firming up in the fridge! I also stared some Wild Rice in the microwave that will cook for a while, then sit and steam overnight...can't wait for Thanksgiving Round II tomorrow!! Sans turkey, but hey, thats fine with me!!

~Scotcheroos~
(aka Special K Bars)
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. creamy peanut butter
6 c. rice krispies cereal (or Special K)
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. butterscotch chips

In a medium sauce pan (large enough to hold all 6 c. of cereal and be able to stir) combine the corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring occasionally to prevent burning. When the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and stir in peanut butter. Once the peanut butter has melted and combined, add in the cereal. Stir to coat completely. Spread mixture into a 9in x 10in baking dish spayed with cooking spray. Let sit. Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips over LOW heat stirring constantly to prevent burning. Once melted and combined, pour over peanut butter cereal mixture and spread to cover. Let cool. Cut into bite sized bars and ENJOY!!

On the docket for tomorrow:
1. Finish Wild Rice
2. Finish and Bake Apple Pie
3. Do whatever else that may need to be done...

In the time being, here are some picture and some recipes that I am sure everyone is waiting for!

Pie Crust and Apple Pie Recipe coming soon!!

Mom's Chocolate Pie Recipe here.

No comments: