Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Its A...

...Family Tradition!! Each nad every year for Thanksgiving since before I can remember my mother, or someone, has ALWAYS made wild rice for the holiday. I like the recipe that my mother uses the best, and I have altered it to make it my own!

I have been in a different state for the past two years for Thanksgiving and I have always offered to make some old school Minnesota Wild Rice to represent!!
Well, consider yourself lucky, here is the recipe that I use most!


~Minnesota Wild Rice~
1 lb. Minnesota Wild Rice, uncooked
4 4oz. cans mushrooms, drained
2 lg. white onions, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, diced
3-4 tbsp. Lawry's seasoning
4 tsp. garlic poweder
8 tbsp. butter, cubed
Optional Ingredients:
Celery, cooked
Carrots, cooked

To cook the wild rice I use the microwave. Place the wild rice into a microwaveable strainer and place the strainer and rice into a larger bowl. Cover the rice with water. (It is okay if it is not all covered) Cover the bowl with a large plate or plastic wrap. There needs to be an opening so that steam can escape. Set microwave for 45 min. One done, leave in the microwave over night or for several hours. In the morning strain the rice and stir to see if all the kernel have burst. If not, replace water and return to the microwave for another 30 min. (mine usually takes two more 30 min. installments to ensure all the kernels have burst)
While the wild rice is cooking, place a saute pan over med. heat. Coat with olive oil and cook the onions until translucent, add in the garlic and mushrooms and heat until warmed through. Once the wild rice is done, strain it and place in a large serving bowl. Stir in the onion, mushroom, and garlic mixture. (and any other ingredients that are used) Add the butter, and season with the Lawry's, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Reheat if needed, server warm and ENJOY!!

This recipe makes a lot of Wild Rice, so there will most likely be leftovers, and the best thing to make with the leftovers is...

~Creamy Wild Rice Soup~
**I thought I had this recipe but I don't. I'll get it to ya though!!


There was a little booklet that came with the package of Wild Rice that I used, and It had some other recipes for the rice that i would someday like to try so I am going to post them here and hopefully be able to update my readers with pictures!

~Wild Rice Pancakes~
1 c. AP flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 c. milk, plus extra
2 tbsp. sour cream
2 tbsp. butter, melted to room temp
Cooked Wild Rice

Sift the dry ingredients. Beat egg, milk, and sour cream in another bowl; pour into dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Add butter and wild rice. Add more milk until the consistency is right. Drop batter by tbsp. onto a preheated, lightly-greased griddle. Cook until golden brown. ENJOY!!

No comments: