Saturday, November 27, 2010

Turkey Day Round-Up

So, here are the things that I made for Turkey Day!


Numero Uno was a Mustard Crusted Turkey Breast - twas very yummy and moist. I subbed the panko breadcrumbs that the recipe called for, for plain old breadcrumbs. I think panko would have been a better texture. This tasted good, don't get me wrong, but the texture could have been much better, more crispy....


Numero Dos was some classic MN Wild rice. It has mushrooms, garlic, onions, butter and seasoning salt in it. This is my "its not Thanksgiving without....." dish. My mom makes this EVERY thanksgiving. Now I am doing the same! I made it when I had Thanksgiving out in NC, both in 2008 and 2009! Now it made its appearance in Okinawa in 2010! Where else will it go! Go here for the recipe!


Numero Tres was some Nori Cookies....they were an epic FAIL! They baked up nice....looked like an ordinary cookie, but alas, they did not taste like I thought they would. I assumed they would be a butter cookie that was a tid bit more savory...with the nori and all, but they were soooo salty! I cannot remember if I used salted or unsalted butter or not, but next time (there will be a next time! I am going to make these taste good!) I am going to use unsalted and not add any additional salt! Maybe it was the nori I bought....but I don' think so...

So, that fail brings us to...

Numero Cuatro was a quick batch of Pumpkin Cookies w/ White Chocolate Chips! These were yummy! Just the flavor I was looking for. They were more like a cake-cookie being a little lighter and not hard or crisp. I would for sure make these again!


~White Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies~
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. rolled oats
3/4 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. macadamia nuts (Optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in the egg, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract. Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt in another bowl. Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet. Mix in the rolled oats, white chocolate chips, and macadamia nuts. Drop by heaping tbsp. onto a baking sheet about 1 in. apart. Bake for 8-10 min or until set. 

Next time I make these, I am for sure going to use the macadamia nuts in them. I just didn't have any on hand. Also, I am going to used actual rolled oats and not quick-cooking oats. I think they absorbed to much liquid, their texture was lost. I really enjoy the texture of an oat in a cookie! Maybe the ones that I have are just too small? Oh well, I have high hopes for the next time I make these cookies!

What is your "It's not Thanksgiving without....."?

ENJOY!

No comments: