Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sizzle....Sizzle....

POW!

Can ya guess what this it? Huh huh...can ya!!!  IT'S MY 100th BLOG POST!! Ahhhh! I am UBER excited! Can ya tell!! Hahaha!

I thought that I had missed it by a few, but I went through all of my posts and realized that there were a lot of drafts that I had never actually posted. So, I deleted the ones that I didn't want to post any longer, and voila! This is my 100th post! I made it! -->Happy Dance<--

So, for my 100th post I am going to share with you, not one, but TWO recipes. Two sizzling, hot, and spicy recipes. I can tell its spicy when 1. While I am cooking said item, when I breath in the smoke it makes me choke and the peppers go up into my nose and I can feel the burn, and 2. When my Hubby is eating said food, he is visibly sweating...yeah, he likes his food hot...

Here is Spicy recipe number 1:


~Spicy Beef Curry~
1 lb. stir-fry cut beef
3 carrots, diced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1-2 small green chilies, w/ seeds, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
2-4 c. chicken or beef stock
5 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 c. flour
4 tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. chili powder
2-3 tsp. ginger
1-2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. salt

In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil. Saute onion and garlic until softened. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the carrots and peppers, stir a few times, and then add the stock. 
While the mead is cooking, make a roux. Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a med. skillet until warmed through. Over med-low heat, add the flour and stir, cooking until the flour is blended and takes on a pale golden hue. Add curry powder, chili powder, ginger, cayenne pepper, paprika, and coriander. The mixture will be powdery and dry. Take 1/2 c. of the hot liquid from the meat pot and slowly add it to the curry-roux mixture, stirring constantly to form a smooth paste. By spoonfuls, add the curry paste back to the beef mixture, stirring to dissolve. Add the salt.
Simmer the curry for 20-30 min. until the sauce as thickened and the beef and vegetables are tender. While the curry is finishing up, cook some white rice according to package directions. Check the curry a min. or so before serving, if it is too thick, add more stock or water and simmer for a few min. longer. Serve the curry over the rice in a shallow bowl. 

The spicy roux

This curry sure did have a kick! I only had a little bit, it was much to hot for me...but my Hubby sure did like it! He was sweating...really sweating when he was done! I guess I did a good job! ;-)

NOTE: I adapted this recipe by combining various curry recipes and researching what made curry so spicy. Its a big hot pot of the "best of" curry, and our/my Hubby's personal preferences....

And...being on a spicy/hot kick, I also made....


~Spicy Turkey Breakfast Patties~
1 lb. ground turkey
3 tsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (salt)
1 egg, beaten
1 dried Anaheim chili, diced

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Shape into small disks. Cook in a med skillet over med heat until cooked through, flipping once, about 7-8 min. Place remaining disks on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until solid. Remove from pan and put into a plastic baggie. Remove and cook as needed. (No need to de-thaw!)

The spicy ground turkey mix...just look at that color!

These were hot as well! They were really easy to cook up to. When I did cook them and I breathed in the smoke, I got a jolt from all the pepper and spices that were in these...yowza... I served these to my Hubby for breakfast. Serving them as just plain patties, in a breakfast sammi, and I broke a few up and made them into a breakfast burrito! Yummy, yummy!

Restaurant Side Note: One of the first off-base restaurants we tried over here in Okinawa was Cocos Curry House. They make japanese style curry where you can pick your meat, veggies, and other toppings as well as your spice level 1-10 with 10 being the hottest. The first time we went, Hubby started off with a level 5 spice. He said it was alright. Then the next time we went, he bumped it up all the way to a 10! The only difference he commented on was that the heat lingered a lot longer, but it was not that much more "spicy" hmmm..... He later made a comment that my curry was more spicy! That is was better! teheheh I did a little *victory dance* inside. It's good to hear that homemade won over a restaurant!


And what did I get at Cocos? (I'm not much of a curry fan....) I got some garlic naan! It was alright...I think I would have preferred it plain or with garlic in the dough versus cheese and garlic bits on top of the naan...but alas...it met my craving for something starch-y and garlic-y!

2 comments:

Katerina said...

Congratulations on your 100th post. To many more. These dishes look absolutely mouthwatering.

Anonymous said...

congrats! I saw your blog on the foodie blogroll and I love your blog. These recipes look amazing.I'll definitely be back for more