Monday, August 3, 2009

Restaurant Review!!

CRAVE

So...this was about a week or so ago. I was out with some friends and they were all craving sushi, so away we go to the nearest and what I hear was "the best" sushi joint in town. We'll see if it is worthy of that soon enough...Anywho...we went there for lunch on a Sunday so they were also serving brunch. They had basic lunch/brunch specials on the menu like Huevos Ranchero's and what not.

What I had:
(Split between 2 people)
Scallop Poppers - "Scallops baked in dynamite sauce, wrapped in salmon and topped with crunchy flakes"
Minnesota Sushi - "Cooked smoked walleye, cucumber, celery, green onion and spicy mayo wrapped inside out with capelin roe"
Crab and Avocado Flatbread - "Canadian snow crab, mozzarella, orange cream reduction"


Scallop Poppers

Crab and Avocado Flatbread

What I thought:
The Minnesota sushi was very good but it is not traditional, being that is cooked, but it had wonderful flavor both by itself and when dipped in soy sauce and wasabi. The scallop poppers were also very nice. The Flat bread was okay in the fact that I would have liked it to be a little more cheesy. The avocado was simply chunked and plopped in the middle of the flatbread and wish that it had been more like a "sauce" or incorporated as an ingredient on top like the crab. There was also a lot of crust on the edge pieces and wished that they had more cheese and toppings spread out all the way to the edge.
I also tried their brunch bloody mary and it was good. A little garlicky, but good. This is coming from someone who does not really like bloody mary's! Anywho, the prices are reflective of what you pay for, not absurd, but not cheap either.
The service was a little lacking. It might have just been the waiter, or the day, I don't know, but it was not very good. Things were forgot, an order was messed up, she did not check on us for a while, and it took forever to find her to get our check. But I have seen worse!

One the whole I would give Crave 3 out of 5 Yums.

**Since writing this review I have been to Crave at least 2 additional times. Here is what I had:

  1. Pita & Spreads Appetizer: Organic hummus, house olive tapenade, and roasted garlic bulb. This was very yummy and it has been the appetizer that I recommend to people who I know are going there. It is rather large, so its a good bet for a good sized group, or it can be a meal on its own! 
  2. Crinkle-Cut Fries. They were not listed on the menu when I went, but I asked if they had any. The waiter said yes. Now they are listed on the menu, and I recommend getting them. They are hand cut crinkle fries. Crunchy on the outside, soft and warm on the inside. Very, very good! 
Updated 9/15/10

No comments: