Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Its high time for a....

Restaurant Review!!


So, needless to say, once again, it has been a while since I have last written! I am here to inform my readers about a wonderful new restaurant in my good ol' home town of WBL, MN. 


Restaurant: Manitou Station
Location: Downtown White Bear Lake, MN
Food: English Pub style food


This is the newest eating establishment in the downtown area and it is located next to the newly renovated Avalon mall. The food is down home, made from scratch goodness and news is spreading quickly of its delicious offerings! I first went to this restaurant with my parents for my mother birthday. I had the steak salad with med-well steak and a simple vinaigrette as well as seasoned pub fries. My papa had the fish and chips with mushy peas. My mother had the Rachel: turkey, sauerkraut, and swiss, along with horseradish mashed potatoes. 


The salad was very good, simple, for a salad. The steak was cooked perfectly and very tender and juicy. The Rachel, according to my mother was very good as well. She noted that they sauerkraut was very mild and it was perfect on the homemade rye bread. Her mashed potatoes came out cold at first, but after they were reheated, they were very yummy, with a pleasant kick. My papa loved the fish! It was light a crispy and overly greasy. The filets were of a good size so that you could actually taste fish. The pub fries are wonderfully seasoned and thick and potato-y. My favorite is to dip them into their homemade tartar sauce which is made with dill! One of my favorites! 


For dessert, since it was my mothers birthday, they served us some of their homemade bread pudding. It had a wonderful caramel sauce on it and it was wonderfully moist and warm and made perfect by the presence of vanilla ice cream. 



The next time I went there I split the Avocado Chicken Ranch sandwich with my mother. I believe this also had some cheese on it. It was very good too, but there was not much of a ranch taste to it, but thats okay because I was satisfied with the avocado! 




And, the most recent time I went (all three times, i went with different people) I had the Chicken Wild Rice soup. We also split the Scotch Eggs: Hard boiled egg encased in ground pork and deep-fried and served with a spicy English mustard. These were yummy! Personally I liked them plain with out the mustard, I liked the seasoning in the pork and the egg was a nice accompanying flavor. My friend had the Ale Cheddar soup, and boy oh boy was that good! I had a taste (maybe a few...) and it was wonderful, cheesy, and you can actually taste the ale/beer in the soup! Is that not why you order this type of soup? To get both the cheesiness and the wonderful flavor of beer? Both were present in this soup and they were balanced very nicely, according to my friend! 



I would highly recommend this place for any meal! I believe that they do a brunch on sundays, but I am not familiar with the menu for that. 


Go here...it is GOOD!! REALLY REALLY GOOD!!
Oh yeah, when they give you the bill, they bring out some of their, once again, homemade after-dinner mint truffles. They are yummy, yummy, yummy! They seem to be of the cookies and cream variety with mint tossed in, but I have yet to ask what flavor they actually are, I just know they are good! I have seriously contemplated asking if they can be ordered in bulk....but have yet to tread down that path...haha!

Hope you can make it to this wonderful restaurant and that you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments: